Where to Plant
- Bulbs will do well almost anywhere in your garden.
- Good drainage is important.
- Place plants in groups or clusters of the same variety or color.
- Tulips, daffodils, and hyacinths in clusters of at least 8 bulbs.
- The smaller bulbs should have at least 25 in a group.
- Bulbs require at least a half day of sun or filtered sunlight, and many will take full sun.
- Bulbs also do well in pots.
- Tulips and hyacinths, when planted in a shady area, will last longer and grow taller.
- Ranunculus will give the most color over the longest period of time.
Preparing New Beds
- Select an area and loosen soil to about 1 foot.
- For each 100 sq. ft. area, mix in 8 bags (1.5 cu. ft.) of Black Gold Soil Builder, 2 lbs. of Soil Sulfur and 2 lbs. of Triple Super Phosphate.
- Rake and level the area.
- Soak a time or two before planting to settle the soil.
- Re-rake and level.
Planting Your Bulbs
- Plant bulbs (tulips, daffodils, hyacinths) 6″ deep; plant small bulbs (crocus, allium, muscari) about 3″ deep.
- Plant hyacinths and daffodils about 5″ apart; tulips 4″ apart; smaller bulbs 1-2″ apart.
- Hyacinths and tulips should be chilled in a paper bag in the refrigerator (tulips for 6-8 weeks; hyacinths for 4 weeks). They do best if planted in early October. Flowers last the longest with afternoon shade.
- As soon as the bed is planted, water thoroughly.
- Water again when soil is dry down to the bottom of the bulb. Check with your finger, pencil, etc.
- When soil is kept too wet initially, top growth is forced too soon with no root system to supply the leaves with water.
- After good top growth shows, keep the bed damp, NOT WET, until after bloom is finished.
- Fertilize in the 6-week period following bloom to ensure good bloom for the following year.
- Fertilize twice, 3 weeks apart with Growmore Super Bloomer.
- Never cut green foliage from bulbs!
- Bulbs should be kept dry in the summer.
- If other flowers are to be planted in the bed – dig, wash, and dry the bulbs in the shade and store in a paper bag in the house until next season.
Harlow Gardens 5620 E. Pima St., Tucson, AZ 85712(520) 298-3303